Thursday, November 30, 2006

Quite a scare

We had a scary time on Tuesday. It was around 11am and I was making a dessert for a Ladies' Bible Study that evening and had just wiped Ella up w/a napkin. She wanted to play w/it, so I let her. She loves wiping things! After a few minutes, I thought, "She's being WAY too quiet" and went to check on her. She was sitting on the couch w/her finger up her nose and MOST of the napkin in her lap. "Oh no!" I rushed her to the changing table and looked up her nose-yep! I could see a white piece of napkin way up her right nostril. I tried unsuccessfully to remove it w/a bobby pin. Every time I thought I was making progress, she would sniff it back up. "No, baby! "Blow, don't sniff.!" Didn't work.

Then I called Amy, my Midwife who sees also sees Ella for well visits. She said she could see her @ 1pm or if she was napping then, to bring her in when she awoke. Well, I let Ella nap until 2pm, then Will came home for a quick visit to check it out. By this time, it was even harder to see (only possible w/a flashlight). So I got to Blessed Births around 2:45. Amy was quite busy but managed to fit us in. She got her back there as soon as she could (about 3:15). She could see it w/her special nose/light thing but it was WAY up there. Ella was having lots of runny discharge coming out, and we were afraid that if it didn't get out, she would get a bad infection.

Amy tried a hook scraper thing, bulb syringe, everything for about 15 min. Oh, and the whole time Ella is going nuts. As if she was possessed-seriously. Blowing bubbles out of her mouth, writhing, screaming, crying. I had to end up "sitting" on her (my legs up around her head pinning her arms down, her legs in my lap) to keep her from thrashing so much-of course that just made it worse-she HATES!!! being restrained. It was awful. I had to focus on not crying b/c to see her like that really hurt. I just kept saying "'s okay honey." But of course it WASN'T okay. How could she understand we were trying to help her? I asked Amy what would happen if she couldn't get it out. Would we have to go to the hospital? "Probably, and they'll most likely put her to sleep to get it out." No! No! No! How could I bear that?

Finally, Amy and I were both praying out loud for God's help. Then Amy suggested we give Ella a break and try back when she had her next couple coming in. The husband could help us hold Ella better. Well, Ella was traumatized for awhile-kept crying even after she was "released." But after letting her look at all the babies' pictures on the wall (including her own), she was better. Then she nursed, and all was well again. I called Will to let him know what was going on. The next couple came in and Ella got a chance to get to know Ben (the husband) before it was time to go back and try again. Amy came to get her and Ella actually followed her back to the room. We were so glad she wasn't scared of her. However, as soon as Ella saw the dreaded table, she began to howl again. Thankfullly, this session took less than 5 minutes. I sat on her again while Ben held her head completely still so Amy could work. Using her light and a bobby pin contraption (Amy had opened up a bobby pin so it was really long and fashioned a hook on it), the napkin piece was retrieved. Thank you, Lord!

And Ella was immediately better-not only b/c it was over, but I think her nose felt so much better after being unclogged! Will arrived just after it was over and said he'd been praying all the way from his job (in Clemson). He was glad Ben was there to help-he didn't think he'd be able to stand listening to her cry like that. I didn't realize how much it had drained me until it was over. Ella and I were both tired. She went right to sleep when we got home (around 5:30) and we hated to wake her up later that night to change her into her PJs (she had a short-sleeved shirt on and we were afraid she'd get cold). She was changed, nursed, and went straight back to bed until 9am the next morning.

I did make it to Ladies' Bible Study but only b/c I had the dessert. But, it was a blessing-haven't had a girls' night in forever.

So, the moral is, no napkins until Ella least 10 years old. :-)


rcsnickers said...

I am sorry you had to go through this! Hate hearing them scream like that in fear and uncertain of what is really going on! Praise God she is okay and did not need to go to the hospital!


Elizabeth said...

No more napkins! Of course, the first thing I thought was why not the ER? I'm so deep in the medical world I forget how many people hate hospitals. Sounds like you made it and she wasn't traumatized. Congrats Supermom!

When I was 3, I fell and bit through my tongue. My mom was definitely traumatized, but I came out fine: I don't even remember anything.

Erin said...

oh, my how scary!! Glad you have someone you can go to for help =) So far neither of mine have gotten creative with sticking things up the nose. My sister would put peas and tape up hers. Blech!

Sib said...

Poor Ella! So glad everything worked out! Yay for Amy. How great to have a midwife who can help you out with things like this.

Laura said...

Liz-yes, no offense, but I hate hospitals and was trying to avoid that at all costs. I figure we would have been waiting in the ER for at least 2 hours before being seen anyhow.
And yes, I think Ella's already forgotten about her experience- I've cleaned her nose out since then(just for mucus) and she hasn't cried a bit. :-)