Okay, first Emmie sent this to me by email and I emailed her back saying I was pressed for time and might not get around to it. Then, I saw that I had been tagged on Liz's blog....and called "someone special", so I made time. :-)
(no offense, Emmie).
1. Eggnog or Hot Chocolate?
Definitely hot chocolate-never been an eggnog fan-maybe I just never tasted any great eggnog? Who knows?
2. Does Santa wrap presents or just sit them under the tree?
You have to wrap! That's half the fun, tearing open the paper. At least for me, it is. That's the thing that stinks about growing up-adults give each other things in bags now b/c it's easier (I'm guilty too!).
3. Colored lights on tree/house or white?
White, inside and out. When we were little, we always had colored which I thought was great. Now that I'm so mature (feel free to laugh out loud here), I prefer the elegance of white.
4. Do you hang mistletoe?
No, but my Granny always had some artifical hanging at her house and it was fun to watch people steal kisses-maybe I should start this tradition.
5. When do you put your decorations up?
First week of December-just finished outside-still working on tree.
6. What is your favorite holiday dish (excluding dessert)?
Ham-my mom gets the yummy spiral honey-baked kind.
7. Favorite holiday memory as a child?
I remember running to my sister's bedroom on Christmas Eve and yelling, "I think I just heard reindeer on our roof!" I think I was 6 or 7.
8. When and how did you learn the truth about Santa?
Don't remember-maybe age 8, 9? Can't remember if anyone told me-perhaps one of my sister's let it slip or perhaps I just figured it out. Don't remember being traumatized.
9. Do you open a gift on Christmas Eve?
Yes, one gift each, but only b/c it's our anniversary.
10. How do you decorate your Christmas tree?
White lights, pink bows, gold balls, and ornaments from childhood (a few) and from our wedding gifts (a lot).
11. Snow! Love it or Dread it?
Absolutely love it-though I hate having to get all bundled up to play in it-wish we got it more here.
12. Can you ice skate?
A little-been a couple times-probably could make it around (very, very slowly) w/out falling.
13. Do you remember your favorite gift?
As a child? My first Cabbage Patch doll or my Christmas bear-the latter is just a tiny bear w/a Santa hat-but for some reason I was elated to get him. Ella gets to play w/him but unfortunately my doll had to be thrown out after being completely ruined from storage in my mom's shed which didn't have the greatest roof. (I know, bad place to store valuable dolls.)
14. What's the most important thing about the holidays for you?
The magic of Christmas that allows for those warm, fuzzy feelings. You know, having everyone in the same room, even if it's completely chaotic and you can't understand what the person 2 ft. away from you is saying? That's deliciously special. Oh, and I also just love to look at Christmas lights and sing Christmas songs/carols.
15. What is your favorite holiday dessert?
Pecan Pie (the only time I get this delicious-make you gain 10 pounds-dessert).
16. What is your favorite holiday tradition?
Don't know if this is considered a tradion but one of my favorite things as a child was opening my stocking. More than any gifts I loved going to the fireplace and getting mine down. I hope to soon get a fireplace and have that tradion w/ Ella. (I know-I can have stockings w/out a mantle but it's not the same.) Also, starting last year, we began reading the Christmas story w/Ella before opening any gifts.
17. Do you send Christmas cards?
We're most likely doing a family photo card this year.
18. Which do you prefer giving or receiving?
Giving-I love shopping for gifts.
19. What is your favorite Christmas song?
I love "Sleigh Ride," especially the horse sounds,but currently "Frosty the Snowman" is in my head and I can't get it out. Help! :-)
20. Candy Canes! Yuck or Yum?
Yuck,yuck, yuck! How did these things get so popular?I'm assuming b/c they're so cheap to buy in bulk and give out. If I'm going to get that sticky and messy eating something, it has to taste FABULOUS. Sorry, candy canes, you don't do it for me.
21. Do you go shopping the day after Christmas?
No, I'd be crazy too, besides I'm still w/family then.
22. Real trees or Artificial?
Has to be real-it adds to the magic of Christmas for me-love the smell.
23. Do you participate in a local Christmas program or just watch?
24. What is your favorite holiday movie?
Rudolph the Red-nosed Reindeer and It's A Wondeful Life (quite the combination, I know)
25. Are you doing anything special or different this year that you have never done before for the holidays?
Starting last year, we began staying at home Christmas morning, so we could have Christmas as a family before hitting the road.
26. Favorite adult holiday memory?
Guess that would be Christmas of '99.
Waking up on Christmas morning in a log cabin in the woods, seeing the snow outside, and then turning to my new husband and saying, "Merry Christmas, honey."
Now, it's my turn to tag. Erin. Sarah